90/10 Principle

One morning the father was getting ready to go to work neatly dressed heading to the dinner table to eat breakfast. He was holding a cup of coffee ready to drink, unexpectedly his little girl nudged her father’s hand and the coffee spilled on his shirt. Instantly the father responded to the incident, angering his little girl by snapping to tell her to finish her breakfast.

The mother felt that the father’s attitude was excessive and defended her little girl. Still grumbling the father walked into the room for a change of clothes, immediately returning to the dinner table hoping that his little girl had finished eating her breakfast. It turned out that the little girl was still crying miserably and the meal was not finished which cause her missing the school bus, finally the father had to take the child to school.

Once at school the child no longer waves her hand as usually done. The journey in the direction of the office, which was still far away, made dad speed exceeded the speed limit and finally got a ticket. Arriving at the office he had to present to a large client who was going to give a large order. The prepared documents turned out left on his dirty clothes just now, he lost his big client. What a really bad day!

Returning from work that afternoon he found a disturbed relationship with the child and wife. A day starts with responded badly then complete the whole day.

What’s wrong?

If only the father taken a different stance, maybe the outcome would have been different. If the response is this: “sweetie, next time be more careful okay, look at dad’s clothes getting dirty. Eat the meal so not to miss the school bus. “

With controlled emotions the father changed his clothes and took the documents in his pocket. The child finished the meal and left with the school bus, not forgetting greetings with both parents. The father finishes breakfast and goes to the office in no hurry, when he arrives at the office can prepare the best presentation for his client. Cooperation with clients is also established.

The father returned home feeling happy and was lovingly welcomed by his daughter and wife.

The incident was originally the same, but the end was different. It’s all because of how we react. This “90/10 principle” from Stephen Covey can change our lives or at least change the way we deal with problems. What does the “90/10 Principle” mean?

10% of our lives are determined by what happens to us, but another 90% is determined by how we react (behave) to an event. What does that mean? We don’t have control over the 10% that happens in our lives, but the other 90% is determined by how we react. It’s not a matter of right or wrong, but a response.

For example, we can’t guess when our car suddenly breaks down, the plane we are going to ride is delayed in departure which makes our schedule messy, the company we work for issues unwise policies, and so on. This means that we do not have the power to control 10% of what happens to us. But unlike the 90% again, we are the ones who determine 90% of what happens in our lives, meaning that it is our reactions or attitudes that determine what happens to us next.

Many times the problem afflicts us not because our problem is too big, but the way we deal with it determines its magnitude. By applying the 90/10 principle, we will avoid stress. Whenever we encounter a problem that occurs beyond our control, strive to take a positive attitude. When people say something negative about us, then be wise, because our response to it will determine the direction of our life.

If we control 90% of our lives and another 10% we leave it to God, because it is beyond our control, then our lives will be the way we want them to be.

One thought on “90/10 Principle

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s